Volunteers use this for a variety of projects. I love to use it to make a mosquito repellent. It’s a cheap way for women to protect themselves from mosquito’s. It’s rainy season which means it’s also malaria season!!!(I will try to upload pics next time I make this with my women)
To make this awesome cream you need a bar of soap, some Shea butter, and a huge bowl of Neem leaves. To start it cots 325 cfa which is about .70USD. Some women sell it and can make over 3 mille or 6.5USD. So lately I have been teaching women at this CREN to make it. I have gone twice to teach the nurse’s and some women. The CREN receives private funding, so they are really motivated to continue doing this on their own. I don’t think they plan to sell it, but they will make the women use it while their sick children are staying there.
Some facts on Malaria:
- Malaria is responsible for 20 percent of all childhood deaths in Africa.
- 10,000 pregnant women in Africa die each year because of malaria-related causes.
- In 2009, only 10 percent of Burkinabe children under the age of five were sleeping under treated bed nets.
- About 90 percent of Madagascar's population is at risk for infection.
- Most Malian children under the age of five suffer at least two episodes of malaria each year.
- Over 4.5 million cases of malaria were reported in Burkina Faso in 2009.
- From a recent UN Human Development Report, Guinea ranked first out of 94 countries in malaria cases per year (with 75,386 reported cases per 100,000 people).
I discovered a Bunny Farm in my village!
Beth and Kristen